Ever dreamt of getting your family to tuck into something other than biltong and boerewors while they’re watching THE game – or when you gather to binge watch series?
Falafel is a popular snack which hails from the Middle East but has grown to be loved by people all over the world. It is packed chock-full of protein, despite the fact that it contains no meat and is a much healthier option that will go down a treat. It will allow you to stretch your budget to boot. The recipe makes about 40 balls of around 3cm each, approximately the size of a walnut or a large grape. Serve it with some Original Mayonnaise and you already have a winner!
- 3 tins of white or black-eyed beans
- 2 onions
- 4 - 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley or one cup of fresh parsley sprigs
- 6 spring onions
- half a cup of chopped coriander or mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- black pepper
- half a teaspoon of baking soda
See how easy peasy it is:
- Drain the beans well and blend them until fine in a food processor. (Roughly mixed beans will not stick together.)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend further
- Roll balls with your hands
- Heat about 2 cm of oil in a pan
- Using a long-stemmed spoon, carefully place about 6 - 8 balls in the hot oil
- Cook for about 2 minutes a side until brown
- Drain on kitchen paper
Here comes the best part – the must-have sauce:
Mix 6 generous tablespoons of Hellmann’s mayonnaise with 1- 2 teaspoons of hot sauce and half a teaspoon of sugar. For variations on the theme you could also try adding chutney, tomato sauce or mustard to taste to the mayonnaise and see which sauce is voted best.
This recipe can also be made by using one cup of dried beans or chickpeas. Cover them with boiling water and soak overnight. Bite into the beans or chickpeas to make sure they are soft before processing them.
To make a full meal place 4-5 balls in envelopes of pita bread, add chopped tomatoes, onions, lettuce and lashings of the sauce. You will be transported.
For more inspiration, check out our delicious Hellmann’s recipes section.